Injuries caused by assault

First Aid Kit On Wheels Isolated On White BackgroundAn assault can be either physical or mental where you feel that you are in danger because of what they have said or done. It is a criminal offence to assault someone without his or her consent. If you are a victim of such a crime, you have the right to report it to the police and you may also have the right to be kept informed about their investigation. As well as reporting a crime to the police, you can also sue your attacker for compensation because they have personally injured you.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) was introduced in 2012 and if you have been physically or mentally injured because of a violent crime, you can claim up to £500,000 in compensation.

You can only apply under if you were injured within in the last two years. Your injury should also be serious enough to qualify for at least £1,000 worth of compensation. But your compensation can be limited if you behaved unreasonably before, during or after the incident. It could be reduced or your application may be turned down if you did not co-operate with the police or delayed reporting the crime. 

Content on Access Solicitor is not legal advice, and is made available subject to our terms of use. If you need more details on your rights or legal advice try using the Access Solicitor search to find the best lawyer for you.

Request a Callback X

Hi ,

Thanks for contacting Access Solicitor. We'll get back to your enquiry as soon as possible, and during normal business hours this should be within the next 30 minutes. We look forward to helping you find the legal advice you need.

Access Solicitor Customer Care