Council Tax Reduction

Orange Toy House On Stack Of Euro CoinsYou can apply for a Council Tax Reduction (CTR) if you pay council tax, whether you own your own home, pay rent or are working.

You must contact your local council (as each council has its own scheme) to find out what is available and how your Council Tax Reduction will be calculated.

If your council has not set up its own scheme, then there is a default Council Tax Reduction scheme, which is a template for local authorities to use.

Under the default Council Tax Reduction scheme, if you earn less than £150 a week, you are entitled to the maximum reduction. If your income is more than £150 a week, your council tax will be reduced by 20 per cent of the difference between what you earn and £150 per week.

So if you earn £160 per week, there is a £10 difference between what you earn and what the limit for the scheme is. Twenty per cent of 10 is 2. This means under this default scheme, if you earn £160 per week, your allowance will be reduced by £2 per week.

Content on Access Solicitor is not legal advice, and is made available subject to our terms of use. If you need more details on your rights or legal advice try using the Access Solicitor search to find the best lawyer for you.

Request a Callback X

Hi ,

Thanks for contacting Access Solicitor. We'll get back to your enquiry as soon as possible, and during normal business hours this should be within the next 30 minutes. We look forward to helping you find the legal advice you need.

Access Solicitor Customer Care