Income support

Blurred Walking Crowd In The StreetIf you have no income or a low income, you may be able to claim Income Support. But in certain areas, you will receive Universal Credit. To claim Income Support, you must:

  • be between 16 years old and Pension Credit Qualifying Age
  • live in England, Scotland or Wales
  • have a low income
  • work less than 16 paid hours a week
  • if you have a partner, they must be working no more than 24 paid hours a week
  • be pregnant, a carer, a lone parent with a child under five or, in some cases, unable to work because you are sick or disabled

You can also qualify for Income Support if you are:

  • aged 19 or under and in full time secondary education, and you are either a parent, not living with your parent or guardian, or a refugee learning English
  • under 21 and orphaned or estranged from your parents and enrolled in education

You cannot claim Income Support if you:

  • receive Job Seekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
  • have savings of over £16,000
  • are a young person in local authority care
  • subject to immigration control or need permission from the Home Office to enter the United Kingdom

Content on Access Solicitor is not legal advice, and is made available subject to our terms of use. If you need more details on your rights or legal advice try using the Access Solicitor search to find the best lawyer for you.

Request a Callback X

Hi ,

Thanks for contacting Access Solicitor. We'll get back to your enquiry as soon as possible, and during normal business hours this should be within the next 30 minutes. We look forward to helping you find the legal advice you need.

Access Solicitor Customer Care